Saturday 14 January 2023

Blitz by Robert Westall (1995)



Blitz

Robert Westall

Publisher - Lions / Harper Collins - 1995

Paperback - £2.99

 

   I’ve read a few Robert Westall books over the last 3 or 4 years and quite frankly, for me, they are up there with the best.  He’s often referred to as having been a Children’s author or a Young Adults (YA) author.  I’m loath to call him either because it feels somehow dismissive or second tier.  He was just a great writer who wrote both children and adults with truth, humour, and humanity.  He had a great ear for realistic conversation, a deep understanding of the complexity of relationships and he wasn't averse to a little emotional punch every now and then that will often or not catch you off guard or leave you joyous with memories of long forgotten childhood wonder.

   Blitz is a very small book of just 4 short stories.  There’s The Ruined City of Kor, The Thing Upstairs, Operation Cromwell and Rosie.  The whole book comes in at less than 80 pages but its blindingly good and a real showcase of what the author could do with so little.

   I’ve only read Westall’s novels before this but from what he has crafted in these short stories it shows a mastery of the shorter form as well.

   Without revealing which is which, among this collection of tales from the civilian life of World War Two: we have a spooky one, a funny one, a childhood adventure and one that’s just a little bit heart breaking.

   There are also about eight black ink illustrations in my edition by David Frankland. Light and scratchy in style but capturing significant moments from each story.  They add a little magic to the whole telling.

   There’s not much more for me to say about the book really but if you have never tried Robert Westall's writing then this is as good a place as any to start.

Robert Westall (07 10 1929 – 15 04 1993)

   Westall has got a lot of fans and a lot of first time reads that left deep impressions.  For some it will be The Machine Gunners, others will recommend The Scarecrows or The Watch House.  There’s plenty to choose from and I’ve certainly never read one I didn't like.  My introduction to his work was through The Wind Eye, a Puffin Plus which was so unexpected in so many ways that it still occupies head-space several years on.  I’ll have to return to it one day and try to better understand quite why it haunted me so much but there are so many others of his that I should probably visit first.  And I’m not entirely sure I want to risk exorcising it just yet, anyway.

Review for the Wind eye at the time reading:

The Wind Eye is another Puffin Plus from yesteryear (1976) and another amazing piece of storytelling. I’m not quite sure what constitutes a “Young Adult” book other than the age of the protagonist because everything else about this story is phenomenally adult in theme and concept. This is a book to ponder long after the last page and most probably one to be reread. I’ve more Robert Westall book’s awaiting my attention so it’s good to know his reputation is every bit deserved. Add one more name to this year’s list of newly (re)discovered great writers.


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

January 2024 - Some Words to Start the Year Off

   So that was January 2024 then.  It began at a slow crawl and then seemed to break into a sprint towards the end.  I wasn't ready for ...