Monday 21 August 2023

Agroland by Daniel Arthur Smith (2014)


Agroland

Daniel Arthur Smith

Publisher - Holt Smith Ltd - 2014

Paperback - £3.73

  This is an interesting book and for quite contradictory reasons.  And to be clear, I do mean the book and not the story.

   I'm reading multiple things at the moment for which blog posts are already half drafted.  I'm also listening to lots of interesting things which are similarly up for future pondering.  Along with these explorations is the realisation that my tastes are linked by sympathetic threads and synchronicities.  Pulling on those to see how far back they go or where they might lead is not only interesting but possibly one of the main reasons for this blog existing.

   That said, every once in a while its nice to pick up something random, on a whim as it were, just to see how it feels and fits against everything else.  Argoland is one such selection.

   I first came to it because the cover image had flashed up on my Facebook feed, one of many such adverts for books that I get, although at first I had thought it was for a film or new TV show.  It reads like it could be.

In a desolate desert, members of an isolated agricultural station discover a stranger, dehydrated, delirious, and near death from exposure. His weak frame is thin, desiccated. His blistered flesh is wooden, and in his madness a faint, raspy chant slips from his near lipless mouth: "So many, not enough. So many, not enough."

  What I read sounded interesting enough to get me onto Amazon with the thought that it might make a distracting weekend listen if the audio book was cheap enough.  And it was... but the paperback was even cheaper still!  So at only £3.73, I was happy to take a gamble and at least then I would still have something I could pass on to a charity shop if it failed to earn its place on my bookshelf.

   Now I really like that its very easy to get your book out in this day and age and that you are not at the mercy of a handful of large publishing houses that dictate to readers what they will be enjoying this season.  The down side to this is that the quality of the writing and story telling can be sadly lacking, although the lack of an editorial second-eye can be absolutely disastrous.  For those reasons I'm always interested but very rarely pull the trigger on a sale.  Agroland somehow got past my predispositions.

   What I liked about it was that it was a quick read and divided into very small chapters which really suits how I dip in and out of fiction books in between other tasks.  Its not flabby with overindulgent prose or redundant scenes.  And the basic premise is intriguing as well and it's actually been written really well with some great lines and a good forward momentum. Danial Arthur Smith knows what he's doing and he does it well.

   What didn't work so well for me is that although it's set up to be a good old fashioned video nasty sort of a horror story, with a powerful supernatural villain and a large cast of victims in a trapped environment, it generally wimps out of showing us 99% of most of the kills, avoiding really getting into the blood and gore of it all.  Now that might be a deliberate style choice of the authors and out of good taste but for one disturbing exception. And its disturbing because it is the exception, but the very descriptive nature of the breast mutilation scene plus a lack of any real logic as to why that would be the creature's sweetmeat of choice made me ponder the author's psyche a little more at that moment than that of the antagonist.  I make no judgement on the morality, I desperately wanted the whole book to be much more visceral and gory, but it did make me raise a quizzical eyebrow and snap me out of the book when it happened.

   So on one level it worked, I don't feel robbed and I read a book over the weekend.  The writing was good and it restored my faith to see that it actually had an editor. And I was really inspired by the actual hard copy product that technology dropped into my hand so efficiently.  On the downside I'm left wondering what the point of it was, for the author, I mean.  Nothing new was added to the genre, and it wasn't even shooting to be the bloodiest version of this type of thing.  It might as well have been one of those horror films made for a small budget that pops up on the Horror Channel.  Handy for a writer and director breaking into the industry; an hour thirty of product to fill a gap in the schedule but to what greater purpose?  Is that a problem?  Well if you are begging money to make a film and have to get your script past a lot of gate keepers who want it to be what they paid for, then no.  If however you are living in an age where you can pretty much self publish what you want without too much, if any intervention from others, then whats the point of doing such a familiar dance that doesn't even have the courage of really going for it.

   I don't know but it leaves me feeling a little empty and thinking of words like: Content and Product when I should be using; Story.


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

January 2024 - Some Words to Start the Year Off

   So that was January 2024 then.  It began at a slow crawl and then seemed to break into a sprint towards the end.  I wasn't ready for ...