Monday 10 July 2023

Ghost Stories by M. R. James Vol 2 Read by Derek Jacobi (2009)


M R James Ghost Stories Volume Two

Written by M R James, Read by Derek Jacobi

Audible Original - 2009  

Audible / digital download


   I promised at the end of January, after I had listened to volume one, that I would be back to give volume two a go.  I'm not quite sure why I started listening to it now but it wasn't out of any great urge for a ghost story, rather just to be entertained.  I say this because I didn't find this volume anywhere near as engaging or chilling as the first one.  Perhaps there is a difference to listening in the darker winter months than the summer.  Its the same author and the same narrator but I just didn't feel it this time, it didn't quite connect in the same way.

The four tales included are; A Warning to the Curious, The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral, The Mezzotint and A Neighbour's Landmark.  I enjoyed the last one the most simply because it was totally new to me, having never listened to or seen any other adaptions of it.  After that I liked The Mezzotint, although the TV adaption of that was only a couple of years ago and these were the visual that were played out in my mind's eye as I listened.   The first and second stories should have been  sure things but again, I just didn't feel that they thrilled me like other versions have previously.  Perhaps I'll revisit them again at the end of the year, when the nights draw in but until then its off to look at old comic books next

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

January 2024 - Some Words to Start the Year Off

   So that was January 2024 then.  It began at a slow crawl and then seemed to break into a sprint towards the end.  I wasn't ready for ...